Fifth Generation Proven PAM4 Technology Includes PAM4 DSP, Linear TIA and Drivers that Enable 10W 400GbE Data Center Optical Modules
SANTA CLARA, Calif., March 12, 2018 – OFC 2018 – Inphi Corporation (NYSE: IPHI), a leader in high-speed data movement interconnects, today announced its 16nm 400Gbps Porrima™ Single-Lambda Pulse Amplitude Modulation (PAM4) platform, the first complete 56GBaud platform solution for wired network infrastructure including hyperscale cloud data center, service provider and enterprise networks. Leveraging Inphi’s leading fifth generation DSP-based PAM4 technology, the new PAM4 DSP platform solution delivers unprecedented performance and power efficiency. The company will be showcasing the platform at its booth #4013 at OFC 2018 in San Diego on March 13-15, 2018.
Inphi’s 16nm Porrima platform solution represents the industry’s first sampling platform that includes field-proven PAM4 DSP technology, Linear TIA and Driver for up to 400G client optical modules. Leveraging experience from five generations of DSP development, each of which have been field deployed starting 2016, Inphi has developed optical platform expertise and an API based DSP software suite that will achieve quick time to market with the right trade-offs in power and performance for data center optical interconnects. The Porrima platform also supports a wide range of 25/50/100/400Gbps optical interconnects for hyperscale cloud data center, service provider and enterprise network.
The growth of hyperscale cloud networks is at an inflection point, with the number of cloud data centers expected to more than double by 2021, and the amount of traffic within such data centers expected to quadruple over that period, according to Cisco’s 2018 Global Cloud Index Forecast. The existing megatrends of cloud services, Big Data, IoT are now being overlaid with a new set of trends like the transition to 5G, autonomous vehicles, Artificial Intelligence and Augmented and Virtual Reality, that demands a major leap in bandwidth to 400GbE PAM4 optical interconnects.
“The latest generation of 12.8Tb/s Ethernet switch silicon will support 32 ports of 400GbE and is expected to ship in late 2018. These advanced switches require 400GbE DR4/FR4 optical modules built from reliable, low power PAM4 silicon. The arrival of Inphi’s 400G PAM4 platform solution will boost the 400GbE market and allow optical components vendors and their customers to successfully transition to 400G speeds,” said Andrew Schmitt, lead analyst at Cignal AI.
“Inphi continues to maintain its market leadership position in PAM4 data center solutions with the launch of the Porrima platform for 400GbE cloud networks,” said Siddharth Sheth, SVP, Networking Interconnects at Inphi. “Leveraging from all our prior PAM4 DSP experience, Inphi is offering a fast time to market platform solution that spans EML, DML and Silicon Photonics based optical front ends for upcoming 12.8T switch generation.”
Key attributes and benefits of the new 400Gbps Porrima PAM4 platform:
• Low power consumption for next generation module applications, enabling <10W DR4/FR4 optical modules per IEEE standards and MSA
• Enables DR1/FR1 optical modules for legacy 3.2/6.4T switches while offering an upgrade path for 12.8T switches
• Optimally designed DSP and TIA receive chain for power-performance trade-offs
• Enables customers to develop a 400Gbps optical interconnects in a compact form factor for applications with up to 10km
• The supporting IN563x Linear Driver and IN566x Linear TIA provide packaging flexibility for excellent linearity, high bandwidth, adjustable gain to optimize the PAM4 system performances and wide dynamic range to meet the different performance and link requirements for optical applications
• Implemented in small form factor and power efficiency on proven, high-volume 16nm process technology node, ensuring fastest time to production
Porrima 16nm Product Family:
Porrima PAM4 DSP IC provides a full bi-directional interface with host ASICs that have 28GBaud PAM4and NRZ electrical interfaces while bridging to 56GBaud optics. The product family can support PAM4 or NRZ signaling, and both Retiming and Gearbox functionality with packaging specifically designed for the following optics modules:
• Porrima 400G – 8x56Gbps PAM4 <-> 4x100Gbps PAM4 for QSFP-DD/oSFP/COBO
• Porrima 100G – 4x25Gbps NRZ <-> 1x100Gbps PAM4 for QSFP
• Porrima 100G- 2x50Gbps PAM4 <-> 1x100Gbps PAM4 for QSFP/uQSFP/SFP-DD
Additional Porrima technical features include:
• Fifth generation InphiNity™ DSP Engine with a unique mixed-mode DSP architecture for high performance, low power applications needing adaptability and configurability
• Numerous self-test and loopback modes that allow diagnostic monitoring of channel and system parameters
• Modular API software suite that covers link margin and stress testing along with data and error analytics
• Forward error correction (FEC) functionality for 100G and 400G optics are integrated
IN563x Linear Driver Product Family:
The IN5630DE/IN5634SE is a 56GBaud low power single/quad linear driver for PAM4 optical modules. Features include:
• Excellent linearity, high bandwidth, adjustable gain to optimize the PAM4 system performances
• Low-power modulator driver in small package or in bare die form
IN566x Linear TIA:
The IN5661TA/5664TA is a 56GBaud low power single/quad linear TIA for PAM4 optical modules. Features include:
• Wide dynamic range to meet the different performance and link requirements for optical applications
• Excellent signal integrity necessary for PAM4 modulation schemes
• Low-power and small form factor
Inphi is now sampling its 400Gbps Porrima PAM4 Platform Solution, including PAM4 DSP, Linear TIA and Drivers to qualified customers.
Inphi Corporation is a leader in high-speed data movement interconnects. We move big data – fast, throughout the globe, between data centers, and inside data centers. Inphi’s expertise in signal integrity results in reliable data delivery, at high speeds, over a variety of distances. As data volumes ramp exponentially due to video streaming, social media, cloud-based services, and wireless infrastructure, the need for speed has never been greater. That’s where we come in. Customers rely on Inphi’s solutions to develop and build out the Service Provider and Cloud infrastructures, and data centers of tomorrow. To learn more about Inphi, visit www.inphi.com.
# # #
Inphi, the Inphi logo and Think fast are registered trademarks of Inphi Corporation. All other trademarks used herein are the property of their respective owners.